J. S., Framestore CFC
B. M., London Internet Exchange
Copper cabling systems training course contents
- Communications principles
- Use of cables in data networks, Use of cables in telephone networks, conductors and insulators, current, resistance, voltage and Ohms law.
- Copper cabling
- Coaxial versus twisted pair. UTP and STP. Cat 5, 5e, 6 and 7. Straight through, cross over, others.
Hands on: Building a simple network.
- Cable termination
- Preparing cables for termination, termination techniques, termination tools. Wiring standards, colour codes.
Hands on: Making your own cables and using them in the simple network.
- Cable architectures
- Structure cabling system components, topologies, horizontal wiring, vertical wiring, telecomms rooms, server rooms. Hubs, switches and routers implications. Trunking. Cabling documentation, symbols and abbreviations.
Hands on: punch blocks, testing continuity.
- Cable installation
- Site surveys: pathways and spaces, support structures, distance limitations. Recommended installation practices, laying and setup, retrofits. Health and safety factors, fire and building codes.
Hands on: Performing a site survey, installing cable with floor boxes.
- Basic testing, volt meters, tone set, Cat 5 testers, Cat 5e testers, Cat 6 testers. Certifying performance, Cat 5, 5e and 6 performance parameters. External factors. Common faults. Hands on: Testing an installation, troubleshooting faults.
- Other aspects
- Telephony cables, shielded cables.
Hands on: Installing telephone cable, testing continuity.
Why Choose Us
SNT trainers score an average of over 90% on the three main areas of:
- Ability to teach
- Technical knowledge
- Answering questions
We limit our maximum class size to 8 delegates; often we have less than this. This ensures optimal interactivity between delegates and instructor.
"Excellent course. The small class size was a great benefit…" M.B. IBM
We write our own courses; courseware does not just consist of slides and our slides are diagrams not bullet point text. A typical chapter provides clearly defined objectives with a chapter overview, slides with text underneath, a quiz at the end to check the learning of the students. Hands on exercises are at the end and are used to reinforce the theory.